News:

BE SURE TO POST AT LEAST ONCE!  I crop users that don't bother participating. No free rides.;) Tell us who you are? Where you climb at on 108 usually?  And beta is usually appreciated.

Main Menu

BC Skiing near 108

Started by hyster350, December 17, 2019, 12:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyster350

Hi, where do you guys recommend backcountry skiing? I do not have a snowmobile but I don't mind spending a night in the backcountry.  In the past I have skied the South and West side of Burst rock area and from there I have skied the bowl (South side of 4N34) that goes down near the Crabtree Trailhead area.  I have skied the Sonora pass and Leavitte Peak area and Burnt Bowl area from near Aspen Meadows pack station.   
Is there any skiing in the Herring Creek Dome/Pinecrest Peak area or Cooper Peak area?
Are there any routes to ski off the North side of 4N34 (the ridge trail that goes from top of Dodge out to Gianelli Trailhead) that will take me back to the bottom of chair 8 at Dodge?
Is there anything worth skiing in the Strawberry area or in the in the Emigrant Wilderness?

Thanks

Mark

Mungeclimber

Hi Mark,
There's probably only a couple of us doing any skiing/skinning, and I've been riding the sled lately more than anything.

Not sure if Duncan and Shanna will see this just yet, but they've ski'd off Pinecrest Peak taking different lines from the look out area above Herring Creek Dome. Putting in from the Lake, taking the line to that mini lake then east ward skinning up, iirc.

Talked to a riding friend who has actually ridden off Herring Creek Dome. I'd be nervous about avy off those slabs.

More of a skin up and mellow terrain, is from areas past Strawberry on 108, east of the hwy. Look for the big pull out on the left for the parking. Sometimes the snow plow berm has to be chopped so you can get on top of it. Nothing steep. But that was a worthy few hours one afternoon for me.

I have seen one guy taking the FS roads out from Cow Creek quite a ways. May have been just a skin up and out for a work out rather than good turns.

I've skinned up Gooseberry road to backside of Dodge. That's a cool way to get some runs. But for more quiet the Burst Rock area, like you saw, is good. The snow machinas avoid that area. Spring skiing of course is the ticket up at the Pass.

Hope that helps a little,
Rob
-If granite is the language of climbers, why do I read and write volcanic?

hyster350

Thank you Rob.  Looking at Caltopo, from Cow Creek the bowl to the South(Punch Bowl) looks good and it looks like there might be some descent mellow skiing off the South side of the ridge that Bull Run Rock is on.  I am going to go check that area out.

Thank you,

Mark

duncan

Hey Mark - I'm excited to see some more human powered skiing on the pass!

We've done a rambling tour from Leland Meadows towards Pinecrest Peak. It's a bit rolling but it's a good option when Herring Creek road is closed. The descent gully for HCD holds snow and is a fun little spot.

We've also done some quirky tours from Dodge Ridge down to Cleo's Bath. Not sure I'd recommend that one :)

I've been very curious about exploring the 2018 Donnell burn. The challenge when accessing the pass without a snowmobile is getting high enough to get out of thick trees... the burn may be one good way to get into more open terrain closer to the sno-park.

I'd also be curious to check out Cooper Peak and Castle Rock.  We did a nice little bike loop off Herring Creek Road on 4N12 this fall.  Overnighting off 4N12 could be a fun way to check out that zone.

Keep us posted on what you find!

hyster350

Attached are the backcountry lines I skied or looked at skiing between the top of Dodge and Burst Rock.  Are these the lines you guys are skiing? Is there anything wroth skiing out of the summer Crabtree trailhead or anything else on this side of the Emigrant Wilderness worth skiing?

Duncan
When you ski the Herring Creek Dome area where do you park? I also attached a map with the lines I am looking at skiing out of the Leland area, the lines in red are my planned skinning lines. Do you have any recommendation on which of these lines I should ski or are there lines that I dont have marked that you recommend?

Rob,
The area you mentioned skiing East of Strawberry is it near Pikes Peak?  If not can you send me the coordinates or let me what the nearest forest service road to the turnout you are talking about?

Thank you,

Mark

Mungeclimber

Yep, didn't realize the name, but found it on another map. But yeah. The pull out is at the turn off for FS road 5n32. Mellow skin up and out. Some boulders along the way that looked interesting.

Mungeclimber

oh, and also, I think Team Duncan goes up from Pinecrest Lake side.

hyster350

Thank you for the information.

Mark

hyster350

Hi Rob,

Do you have any experience skiing the Bald Peak area off of Clark Fork Road or Night Cap Peak climbing out of Kennedy Meadows?

Is there anything else in these areas worth skiing?

Thank you,

Mark

Mungeclimber

I haven't yet. I started looking at that area with a map a lot closer last couple years tho. Kind of an untapped adventure zone.

hyster350

Thanks Rob,
I explored the Clark Fork area.  From the end of Clark Fork Road the trail goes just about to the base of Stanislaus Peak.  There is good snow coverage on North facing slopes and the snow is not suncupped.

Mungeclimber

hyster350

Hi Rob,

I am planning on skiing Night Cap Peak area Saturday; either climbing out of Kennedy Meadows or bicycling up the highway to near Chipmonk Flat then climbing up from there. Is it legal to bicycle on 108 past the closure gate? Do you know of anyone that might be interested in skiing this area with me?

Mungeclimber

The hwy and forest generally aren't restricted. I would not hesitate to ride bike up the hwy if interested. I'm still out but sounds like an awesome trip!

Mungeclimber

Best to launch from the Pass proper. The big sugar pine parking west of the Pass had sections of open meadow.

Boarder and a couple skiers got hitch rides back to the Pass in the back of my pick up yesterday. So the run down to blue canyon must be rideable.